I just thought of a little function that I wanted to get some feedback
on. It's a way to pre-populate a form when adding new records, using
the URL only and no controller-specific controller logic.

In AppController::beforeRender :

if(isset($_REQUEST['populate'])) {
        if(empty($this->data)) {
                $this->data = array();
        }
        $this->data = array_merge_recursive($this->data,$_REQUEST
['populate']);
}

then make a link pointing to an ADD form:

/admin/project_images/add?populate[ProjectImage][project_id]=3&populate
[ProjectImage][name]=blah

What do you think? Not very cakey with that querystring but is there a
better way to do this?

Thanks!