WallyJ

I would guess.....

Basically your main config is saying "dont let any sub directory's
htaccess files do anything, I'm the boss!"
So when mod_rewrite is inactive, there is no issue. But when you
activate mod_rewrite you create a conflict which results in the access
forbidden.

You'll need to edit httpd.conf for the directory this occurs on.

You'll likely see something like

<directory /location/of/cake>
AllowOverride None
</directory>

Change the None to All.
which changes its stance to "I'm still the boss but I don't like to
micro-manage, so let htaccess files do their thing."