Well I personally would say that having the taglist in XHTML / XML is
of a more global advantage ...

Since if you want to spit out XML for other Documents eg. AJAX, RSS,
and so on you need tags that confirm to XML for it to even work. And
as far as I know RSS Readers etc. wont let you get away with faulty
markup as the browsers of today are ... read the first paragraphs and
it seems to me that he is once again complaining about just how bad
the support (following of clear standards) is by the browsers of
today, and the resulting facts that developers then have to fight
endless hours to get a some what good result in most browsers and OS.
Where more than often Developers have to break with the standards to
do so, which makes the standards more sloppy! (his main complaint is
to the sloppyness of the Developers to the standards)

So if you personally want it to be clean HTML 4 strict and the taglist
is stopping you write the helper as suggested, and give it to the
community if you want.

I should note that I am in no way affiliated with the CakePHP
projects,
and I speak solely for and represent only myself.