One thing you could do is include the request handler component in you
app_controller and  then in you app_controller's beforeFilter have
something like:
function beforeFilter() {
parent::beforeFilter();
if ($this->RequestHander->isAjax()) {
    Configure::write('debug',0);
That way you can suppress debug messages for ajax calls and retain them
for everything else.