@Smelly: I have resorted to this solution, which works but seems like
a bit of a botch job.  I'm really disappointed that you can't get Cake
to join 3 tables that are associated by belongsTo associations, it's
not as if this is a complex SQL query.

@Webweave: Nice spot on the typo, but that doesn;t allow you to force
a join on a 2nd level association.  Recursive does not resolve the
issue as setting recursive to 2 seems to invoke containable behaviour
(although not sure how it does this when I have not applied
containable to my moodels) so that instead of Cake running one query
joining the 3 models in question, it runs a query on Staff and Person
(which fails as I have a condition on the Organisation model) then
pulls the Organisation data out with multiple extra queries.