Check your <appname>/config/core.php file and verify that it has the
following lines unchanged:

/**
 * The classname and database used in CakePHP's
 * access control lists.
 */
        Configure::write('Acl.classname', 'DbAcl');
        Configure::write('Acl.database', 'default');

If so, validate you have a 'default' connection in your <appname>/
config/database.php