Ok, here's a few things to help you:

First, that view function of yours belongs in a helper. You should
never define functions inside a view template.

>From an HTML point of view, there are 2 ways of defining label/input
relationships. You can either embed the input inside the label, which
makes the relationship obvious, or declare a unique ID for the input,
which is referenced by the label using the `for` attribute. This id
must be unique throughout the page. The most usual approach is the
second one.

For the data to be sent and received properly to/by cake, each radio
element (`<input>`) must have a name attribute and a value attribute.
In this case, all of the name attributes should be the same, and each
value attribute should be set to the corresponding id of the category.

Anyway, here's a helper for you: http://pastie.org/355620

And here's sample usage with a dummy dataset: http://pastie.org/355621

The output html is valid, neatly indented and should work fine with
cake's data handling. I'm using the element id and `for` approach
here, because the other way is too easy. (Plus I never use it because
it wreaks havoc with my stylesheets)

hth
grigri