If you wanted to do this, you would have to setup a route for '/*' and
point it to whichever controller/action is going to accept your
param.  So:

Router::connect('/*', array('controller' => 'users', 'action' =>
'view'));

would allow you to get the address 'www.mysite.com/users/view/joe' by
entering/linking to 'www.mysite.com/joe'.

BUT....then you lose the ability to use, for example, 'www.mysite.com/
posts/' to get to 'www.mysite.com/posts/index' unless you set up a
specific route for it BEFORE your  '/*' route. So you would need:

Router::connect('/posts', array('posts','index'));
Router::connect('/announcements', array('announcements','index'));
/*etc for every controller you want to access in this way*/
Router::connect('/*', array('controller' => 'users', 'action' =>
'view'));

Plus, maybe there are other consequences that you might find when
testing it if you don't specify enough routes.  See if that is what
you are looking for.

HTH,
Milton