Just a question: are you testing with IE7?

There have been a couple of posts recently where people were having
problems with IE7 and Auth (you can search the group and find the
posts).

My app_controller has the following setup in the beforeFilter:

/*
 *  Set up the Auth component so that we get redirected if we try to
 *  go to a page that isn't open.
 *
 */
    function beforeFilter(){
        //Configure AuthComponent
        $this->Auth->authorize = 'actions';
        $this->Auth->loginAction = array(
                'admin' => false,
                'prefix' => false,
                'plugin' => null,
                'controller' => 'users',
                'action' => 'login'
        );

        $this->Auth->loginError = 'Invalid user name / password
combination';
        $this->Auth->actionPath = 'controllers/';
        $this->Auth->fields = array('username' => 'user_name',
'password' => 'user_password');
        if ($this->Auth->user('user_name') == 'admin'){
            $this->Auth->allowedActions = array('*');
        } else{
            $this->Auth->allowedActions = array('display');
        }
        if ($this->params['url']['ext'] == 'xml'){
            // Set debug to 1 if it is greater so that
            // we get an XML response ...
            if (Configure::read() > 1) {
                Configure::write('debug',1);

Note that you have to have 'display' as an allowed action or you won't
get the login page.