A site I'm working on has a couple of tables of data that, until now,
have been open for submission by anyone. The client agreed to my
recommendation to make those available to logged-in users only and
would also like to be able to display user info for each entry, which
seems like a good idea and would be simple enough to implement.

However, there's the problem of all that existing data for which
there's no user_id. Can Cake deal with a foreign key column that may
be NULL? Does anyone have a suggestion for how to approach this? One
idea I have is to make all of them some admin's ID, but that seems a
rather ugly solution.

I guess this isn't really a Cake-specific query but perhaps someone
else has encountered a similar issue.