Here is the bottom part of my database.php file.  I don't think it has
a syntax error.

class DATABASE_CONFIG {
        var $default = array(
                'driver' => 'postgres',
                'host' => 'localhost',
                'login' => 'postgres',
                'password' => 'postgres',
                'database' => 'postgres',
                'prefix' => '',
        );
}
?>

Here is what I see on the cakephp main page when I have this file in
place.  This is listed with just text and no graphics.

Release Notes for CakePHP 1.2.1.8004.
Read the changelog

Your tmp directory is writable.

The FileEngine is being used for caching. To change the config edit
APP/config/core.php

Your database configuration file is present.