not showing 100,000 threads?  I assumed that was a given...

My perception was that the OP was worried about processing power; for
example, on my VPS there is (among others) a single MySQL db that is over
280 megs, with 183 tables and over 2 million records and it runs without any
problems, of note there is a single table that has 1,640,537 records and it
doesn't affect the performance of the site or the server -- it's all about
the quality of your query that matters - not to mention indexes, and decent
maintenance.

You will never be loading all of the data rows at any one time, it just
won't happen.  I don't see how loading 1 row with 1k to 4k of data is worse
than loading potentially 10,000 records and processing them all.  Every
developer knows, or should know, that retrieving the data from the disk
takes longer than most computational processes.

so, you (the OP) wants the best performance/processing intensity resolution
with long term storage, the answer is still a db, just the logic and
formatting of the data is what you need to determine.

i recommend a serialized list of threads read and the date they were read --
no need to store threads that they haven't read yet.

just my 2 cents