First thing is to make sure that the page with the form is being
served with the proper encoding. Use $html->charset() in your layout.
The form should submit using the character set that it was displayed
with.

Next, make sure that that's what your browser is using--check "page
info" in the browser.

Also, you say that $post['title'] is empty, but could this be due to
some other issue? Are you sure that $post contains what you think it
does?