The manual entry is short but that is all that is needed for a basic
setup.
Describe commands stop as soon as you go into debug 0.

General performance advice (Not things you do in your app. Things you
do in deployment):
Compiling php and the web server specifically if the added boost is
worth the extra work on updates.
Lookup information about improving the speed of your database server.
You will often gain some speed by using a php accelerator. They all
install a little differently and also require work on each update of
php.
Leaving the safety of Apache for Lighty of one of the other new kinds
can give further improved performance. But these need to be compared
and tested to make sure which is best for you and how much you
actually gain.

In your application I can only suggest that you find a way to really
overload your database with data to find bottlenecks in your code.
With only a few thousand rows in every table any problem areas should
be very obvious. Whenever I don't do this I always have to revisit
code a few weeks (or hours) later and optimize. It is noce to catch it
before going public.