I'm building an internal project management system with companies,
projects, tasks, reference items, file attachments, comments (for
collaboration w/ client), and some other things.

Attachments, Reference Items, Comments should be able to map to a
general project as a whole, a specific task, or just be general that
are available to all projects and tasks. Is a HABTM relationship
appropriate here? My reaction is use "has many" but that only works
for projects and tasks but not the general requirement.

What are your $0.02?