I have researched this problem and have already removed any blank
space after the closing php tag.

Here is the controller code:

   function beforeFilter() {
                if(isset($this->params['admin'])) {
                        $this->checkAdminSession();
                        $allowed = array('Sales','Admin');
                        $role = $this->readSession('role');
                        if(!in_array($role,$allowed)) {
                                $this->roleRedirect();
                        } else {
                                $this->layout = $role;

Here is the appcontroller code:

        function checkAdminSession() {
                if (!$this->Session->check('User')) {
                        $this -> redirect('/users/login', null, true);
                        exit();

        function readSession($val) {
                if ($this->Session->check('User')) {
                        return $this->Session->read('User.' . $val);
        function roleRedirect() {
                switch($this->readSession('role')) {
                        case 'Admin':
                                $this->redirect('/admin/users/' .'' , null,
true);
                                exit();
                                break;
                        case 'User':
                                $this->redirect('/admin/users/', null, true);
                                exit();
                                break;
                        case 'Sales':
                                $this->redirect('/admin/sales/', null, true);
                                exit();
                                break;

I should also mention that the webroot folder is in a subdirectory of
the public_html (/home/user/public_html/sub/)and I have the cake and
app directories in the root (/home/user/) with the webroots index.php
properly edited to reflect the various directory paths.

If I comment out the beforeFilter in the controller everything is
fine, but if I leave it in then I get the header information error.

Again, I have already removed all the extra whitespace from the end of
all models, controllers, and views.

Any help would be greatl appreciated.