I had the same problem, and after hours of searching, I've come across
some luck. Here is what I did to get it to work:

I don't quiet understand why, but this seems to fix the issue with
1.2.1.8004. I just hope there aren't any side-effects.

I made $reset (second parameter for bindModel) to false, and it
worked.

Instead of
<code>$this->Book->bindModel(array('hasOne' => array
('BooksCategory')));</code>
I used
<code>$this->Book->bindModel(array('hasOne' => array
('BooksCategory')),false);</code>

The API says 'If $reset is false, association will not be reset to the
originals defined in the model' and I don't quiet understand the
repercussions of that. If I shouldn't be doing this, please do let me
know. :-)

Hope that helps,
Palaniappan.