I need to create a zero to one relationship for my cakephp app. I
would like to have a foreign key constraint, cascade on update.

The problem is, when I use zero as the default value for the field, I
get a foreign key constraint error when trying to add the constraint.
This is because there is no zero value for the constraint I'm adding.

My question is, should I use a Null value to represent the zero is my
zero to one relationship? Or, should I just create a zero value for
the primary key in the foreign table?

For example, creating an entry

id = 0
company_name = "no company"
phone = " "
ect ...

I read about there being performance problems when using null values?
Does anyone have any incite?