So I've been reading documentation and looking through source and API
and I thought I'm doing the clearing of cache correctly but I'm a
little stumped as to why my element cache is not being cleared.

I have a blog controller and whenever I add or edit a blog I want the
element->latest_news to be cleared from the cache.

So I do something like this in the controller:

if($Blog->save($this->data)){
  $this->clear_cache();
  // --- other stuff
}

private function clear_cache(){
  Cache::delete('latest_news');
}

But the tmp/view/elements/element__latest_news file is still there.
I'm apparently doing something wrong, maybe because its 1 in the
morning and I've had a drink or two but I'm stumped.  Help?