Well, you're closer to a solution, at least. AFAIK, you shouldn't need
to do anything special with the component after loading with
App::import(). But, the component is obviously missing a handle to the
controller. So, the problem might be a combination of the fact that
you're doing this in AppController and that the method is
private/protected. You could try making it a public method. That last
bit is not much better than a wild guess, though.