I've been having some trouble with the paginator when using a
different sort order on two links.

'Title' needs to default to ASC, which Cake does.
'Date' needs to default to DESC, by default it doesn't but using
$paginator->link it works;

$paginator->link('Date', array('sort' => 'date', 'direction' =>
'desc'));

If I click on 'Date' the direction shown in the link remains on DESC -
this is okay for what I need as I don't especially need Cake to flip
the order desc/asc on the Date sort. However, I'm having problems with
the Date LINK inheriting the sort order from a previous sort.

I'll try to explain, I hope this is clear :)

When sorting first by Date, then by Title, and then re-sorting by
Date, the default sort order for the 'Date' link ignores the
'direction' => 'desc'.

There does not seem to be a problem if I first sort by Title, the URL
on the Date link actually resets itself to DESC.

Is there a bug here?

If not can anyone help me understand how I might set the Date link to
always use DESC.

Many thanks for your help.