I ran into the same problem. The change that was made was in version
7969
The startup function mention by brian was replaced in the email.php
with initialize so that it could be used easier by other components.

My code that used this and got the same error used to look like:
$this->ProfileController =& new ProfilesController();
$this->ProfileController->Email =& new EmailComponent(null);
$this->ProfileController->Email->startup($this->ProfileController);

I had to change the last line to:
$this->ProfileController->Email->initialize($this-
>ProfileController);

And everything worked fine for me after that change.
So Brenda in your SendEmail function of you custom component you may
need to call something like this:
$this->Email->initialize($this);

The initialize function takes a second parameter for settings as an
array that I'm not using but it may help minimize the amount of calls
to $this->Email->property = value; calls.

LunarDraco