Hey everyone.  Thanks for responding.  Before I paste the full code, let me
explain in more detail what I am trying to do.

When someone signs up on my website, they have to have an account on another
website.  The website is give or take in this structure
http://www.website.com/info.xml?r=value1&y=value2 with regard to 2 values I
am asking for.  While the user is signing up on the website, the next phase
of the sign up is entering value1 and value2.  I connect to the outside
website upon getting these 2 values, grab the xml, turn it into an array,
and check it to make sure that certain portions of the array exist (X.Y).  I
am unsure of the $url because I am not entirely sure how to grab the values
put in the form other than that way.  Now that that is out of the way, here
is the full code.

Model class:
<?php
uses('Xml');
    /**
     * Valid Checker: Is Valid Checker
     *
     */

class Thing extends AppModel
{
    var $name = 'value2';
    var $useTable = 'things';

    var $validate = array(
        'value2' => array(
            'rule' => array('isValidThing'),
            'message' => 'Your thing is not valid!'
        )
    );
    function isValidThing($value, $params = array())
    {
    $url = "http://www.website.com/info.xml?r=
".$this->$data[$this->$name]['value1']."n=".$this->$data[$this->$name]['value2'];
    $agent = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1)
Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1";
        $curl_thing = curl_init();
        curl_setopt($curl_thing, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
        curl_setopt($curl_thing, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
        curl_setopt($curl_thing, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
        curl_setopt($curl_thing, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $agent);
        $curl_result = curl_exec($curl_thing);
        curl_close($curl_thing);

        $thingResponse = new Xml($curl_result);
        $thingResponse->toArray();
        $value = set::check($thingResponse, 'X.Y');
    }
?>

--
Patrick Hereford