I'm using Notepad++ and Eclipse PDT, but without code completion for
Cake's way of model loading it doesn't matter too much which you pick.

But yesterday I stumbled across this video (http://www.pseudocoder.com/
archives/2009/02/25/programming-cakephp-app-with-komodo-ide/) that
demonstrates the CakePHP addon for Komode Edit (free) / IDE (paid)
that does just that: understanding Cake's dynamic models and providing
code completion.

I haven't got it working yet, but as soon as I do it's time for me to
wave goodbye to all other editors.