I did receive the email that you sent directly to me. I replied:
-- snip --
I guess I'd have to agree with that. But, as I said, I don't have any
experience using a subdirectory. I know it can work, though. Check
some of the links here:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS271&=&q=cakephp+subdirectory&aq=2&oq=cakephp+sub

You can probably ignore the "Apache alias" ones, unless you have
access to httpd.conf. Other than that, though, I can't really say
which is the best (correct) method to use.
-- snip --

Sorry, I don't know of any other solution.