A Google search would be very helpful to you, so long as you also
include the correct version number in your search.  Most likely you've
downloaded Cake v1.2, whereas the Bakery article you've mentioned
points to version 1.1 - there are some subtle yet important
differences in how each of these versions work.  The tutorial will not
work with version 1.2.

http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard/2007/04/11/doing-radar-in-cakephp/
^ That's an example with a BETA version of 1.2.  I *think* the only
difference would be in how the "renderElement()" method is now simply
called "element()".

I didn't verify the contents of this tutorial piece, but I BELIEVE
that this is also version 1.2 code:
http://c7y.phparch.com/c/entry/1/art,cakephp-rest