So I have finally broken down in my stubborn ways and agreed to accept
Cake's Acl component. After walking through the manual I believe it
will  make it into all my future sites.

The trouble I am having is to add it to one of my old sites.  I am not
looking for technical advice so much as conceptual.

The example in the Manual uses some or JRR Tolkeins characters to
explain, and that's very well. It applies to real world examples of
people belonging to groups and inheriting properties form those
groups.

** What if people belong to multiple groups?

If your familiar with the Manual's example, how would you make Gandalf
a Warrior, A hobbit, and A visitor, etc.

--------------

So I guess I need some background on how the Acl component actual does
the queries and logic.

Please take the following example to understand my question.
------------
A large park has many families enjoying picnics.  Each family has a
few members with exclusive access to their picnic baskets. - No
problem

My Family
|- Myself
|- My Brother
L My Sister

Jones Family
|- Timmy
|- Tommy
L Tina (*My Fiancé)

But my fiancé's family is also in the park, and I think she should
have access to my family's picnic basket, and she would like to grant
me access to her family's.

My Family
|- Myself
|- My Brother
|- My Sister
L Tina Jones

Jones Family
|- Timmy
|- Tommy
|- Tina (*My Fiancé)
L Myself

This could be expanded to the point that one person 'belongs' to many
families, and should get the inherent permissions of all those
families.

So now the dilemma.. I am sure it is the wrong way to go to add
duplicate ACO's like above. But instead I will have to add explicit
Aco_aro records for myself and tina.

Alternately would it be possible to make the Families ACOs.  So I can
just say that I have access to Tina's family, and she has access to
mine. From that My Family has access to our picnic basket, and by
inheritance so does Tina.

 Can something be an ACO and ARO? Or am I just missing something
really obvious.  I am just wanting to keep things simple as possible.