John,

Thanks for the help. I see the errors in the mysql database using
query browser and I also see the error in outlook and gmail when the
results are emailed.

I basically keep all the results in an array. I then loop through the
array and do mysql_real_escape_string(). I tried nesting the
utf8_encode function and the htmlspecialchars function into the escape
function like so:

mysql_real_escape_string(utf8_encode($array['item'])); or
mysql_real_escape_string(htmlspecialchars($array['item']));