Thanks for your answer mscdex.

I found a workaround, as it is configured by default in /app/config/
routes.php the pages controller
handles /pages/* requests so /pages/myView renders /app/views/pages/
myView.ctp.
The html helper was available immediately but I added "var $helpers =
array('html', 'javascript');" in the appcontroller,
because the javascript helper wasn't available yet. The _() function
is also recognized now.

One problem I found with this is that using $html->url('js/someJS');
will echo /pages/myView/js/someJS instead of /js/SomeJs

So still, is this correct/valid? Is there a way to get helpers, _(),
etc in documents at /app/webroot ?