I have to agree with Richard here.

Most of the time posts with no replies are generally those that do not
include the appropriate amount of detail and/or clarification for the
type of question being asked.

Other times it may be due to the fact that the question being asked is
one that comes up fairly frequently and has been answered numerous
times in the past. These answers can be found by doing a search in the
google groups message archive.

And lastly another reason may be that those who regularly answer
questions in the groups here, may not be familiar with the topics or
used specifics involved in the question, especially certain
Components, Behaviors, and Helpers for example.

I wouldn't let bad experiences on IRC or elsewhere prevent you from
continuing to seek support on CakePHP though, especially here in the
groups. There's a good number of friendly users that frequent this
google group, and as long as the support situation doesn't fall into
any of the three main categories that I noted above, you usually get a
response from one of these folks for sure.

I do agree with programguru also though. That is mostly because
CakePHP being a framework vs. something like a CMS, there's more
legwork involved and with that, familiarity of some more general PHP-
related technical topics (OOP, etc) should be expected of users
serious in using CakePHP.