You don't understand views, controllers and restrictions.

> My /users dir requires login authentication, and that is working OK. But I
> assume any sub directory within the /users dir will also be protected, and
> maybe this is where the problem is arising?

The root of your mistake - "protected" is NOT users dir but ACTIONS of
Users controller you choose to restrict for non-users. If you want to
restrict unauthorized access to some ACTION of some CONTROLLER your
should protect it by Auth. You have nothing to do with views and any
directories here, it is pure controller task.

So just move your products views to normal place (views/products) and
add Auth component to controller Products with appropriate allow/deny
calls in beforeFilter. That's all.

And more:

> why my view/sub1/sub2/filename.ctp cannot access the controller which is in
> my /controllers dir?

By default "view/sub1/sub2/filename.ctp" will be rendered on request
to controller's "Sub1" action "filename" with request type "sub2". For
example, request http://localhost/products/latest.rss will render
views/products/rss/latest.ctp