Can someone help me understand how / if possible to define individual user
permissions using ACL? Is there a good site that explains it? I read thru
the Lord of the Rings and see you can define the permissions by hard coding
it. But for my application the permissions need to be created / deleted or
modified based on USERS specific criteria.

I have the USERS as GROUPS defined so each USER in that particular group has
access to what parts of the site.

But say JEFF and TOM are in GROUP 1 but I want JEFF to be allowed to access
a part (edit function in the controller lets say) that no other GROUP 1 user
has access to.

Make it easier to understand would be a situation like this:
JEFF, TOM, BILL are all USERS belongTo Group 1
they can access courses_controller (index)
There are 100's of courses to choose from

JEFF pays to complete the COURSE on DREAMWEAVER and has 30 days access to
that specific COURSE for 30 days then the access is denied.
TOM pays for the PHOTOSHOP COURSE which is 14 days and AJAX COURSE which is
21 days

Now with hundreds of courses and hundreds of users how would you maintain
something like this? So they have access for a limited time depending on the
seminar length then revoke access after the time has passed? Its the USERS
themselves who determine access they have based on choosing the COURSE.

Thanks

Dave