Justin,

On Mar 31, 9:56 am, Stinkbug <justink...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into the same problem.  I've been told this is a PHP problem,
> not really a Cake problem.  The way we ended up handling it is by
> creating a stored procedure and calling that procedure within our
> model.  Basically, what the procedure does is take the data and makes
> sure that all 0000-00-00 fields are set tonull.

I started to go that route and then today I found this bug/request
record:

https://trac.cakephp.org/ticket/5702

That makes it seem like you can control NULL in DATE fields by a
modification of the Forms Helper.  But it looks like there are two
suggestions on how to do it and no definitive comment from a dev.
That ticket looks like it is still open but no comment since January.