Thanks for the input
I've tried everything suggested, and none of them work.

The strange thing is my save/create/update behaviour is working, so
Tags and Games are getting created and linked properly during updates
& deletes - I infer from this that my associations & models are set up
OK.

With the debug level set to 3 I can see that cake does two queries
rather than an actual SQL JOIN, e.g.
     SELECT `Tag`.`id` FROM `tags` AS `Tag` WHERE `Tag`.`name` = 'foo'
LIMIT 1

Followed by

        SELECT blahblah FROM `games` AS `Game` JOIN `games_tags` AS
`GamesTag` ON (`GamesTag`.`tag_id` = 13 AND `GamesTag`.`game_id` =
`Game`.`id`)

Which seems a very odd way of going about things...

In the end I've used my own SQL statement using the query() function
where I have proper control over the joins.- this is the only time in
using cake I've had to resort to this.
Oh well

Thanks again.