> Wouldn't you want all labels in side a form to appear on the left?

Perhaps I misunderstand the question, I thought he was asking how to
set an specific label in the left side.

> If so then why not do something along the lines of
> label {
>        float: left;
>        width: 75px;
>        display: block;
>        clear: left;
>        text-align: left;
>        cursor: hand;
>    }

In that case is better not to clear the labels, so ther don't affect
floating divs. I prefer to simply float them, and set overflow:auto to
de wrapping divs:

label { float: left; width: 75px; display: block; }
.input { overflow: auto; }

Regards,
- Dardo.