I have a CakePHP site that is working in a shared host environment on
Dreamhost. The app and cake dirs are outside of the webroot. The
directory for the site contains the contents of what was /app/
webroot.

Everything works great, except I need to use a custom php.ini.
Dreamhost gives instructions for that here:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Custom_PHP.ini#Set_up_the_.htaccess_file
But when I add the lines they say to
<Drinkspiller>  the .htacess that comes with CakePHP in /app/webroot
the app stops working.

When the lines they specify are the sole contents of the .htaccess or
combined with Cake's mod_rewite block, the custom php.ini works fine,
but Cake stops functioning properly.

Guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks!