Use $ajax->observeField method of ajax helper. Here is an example:

      <?php
        echo $ajax->observeField("AlbumNametext",array
('url'=>'checkAlbumName','update'=>'albumNameMsg','loading'=>"Element.show
('loaderIDCheck')",'loaded'=>"Element.hide
('loaderIDCheck')",'before'=>
        "if($('AlbumNametext').value == ''){
            $('albumNameMsg').innerHTML='Please enter album name';
            $('albumNameMsg').style.color='red';
            return false;
         }
         else {