Depending on your database, you may be able to use constraints on the
foreign keys of your database ("ON DELETE RESTRICT"), however that's a
responsive check rather than pro-active. In your situation, you may find
creating a behavior would be beneficial. The behavior would run the checks
on the beforeDelete callback and you can restrict it at that level instead
of a database.

Richard