hey dave,

the long and short of it is: yes, it does impact performance, but for
most people it is negligible.  it has it's pros and cons just like
anything, but if you ever are going to scale your app across multiple
servers/clusters/cloud, then uuid is the way to go, due to it's
"unique" nature.

take a look here: http://krow.livejournal.com/497839.html