OK, I just came across a link to the "on" info in the cookbook (that
table of contents needs an overhaul) but it looks like it only works
with "single rules per field". Bummer.

And GreyCells gives the lowdown on the options array here:

http://teknoid.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/setmerge-and-dynamic-validation-rules/

I'm still wondering if I can get the current action in
beforeValidate() though. Otherwise, I guess I have to pass something
in the options from the controller.