Views, I haven't got my head into yet but it sounds like I probably
should :)

That is a lot of time for so few queries IMHO. Possibly one or a few
are taking very long because they return many rows. Whenever I return
more than 20 rows of anything I usually just want to count them or
somehow pull stats from them.

/Martin