I've gotten TinyMCE working just fine in production use on a CakePHP
site, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem may be.  To be honest,
I don't think it's a CakePHP issue.  TinyMCE's CSS specific files are
a pain in the butt to get working - I've always had trouble with it
(and don't work with it often enough to remember what's needed to get
it to work the way it should).  There are a few issues it could be,
all of which would be hard to give you a direct answer/solution
without seeing it.

So, the usual culprits:
- Check all of your file paths
- Make sure you're including the files for TinyMCE in its
configuration line with the expected path type (relative, full, URI,
etc...)
- Make sure all of the files you're including are in the right path
- Check Firebug to see if it can find all of the included files (CSS,
plugins, etc...)
- Force-refresh (CTRL+F5 in IE or FF) your page when you make a change
to be sure it's not caching the JS and/or CSS files incorrectly

Good luck.