My first suggestion is to do all the pre-development steps you would
normally do regardless which framework or language you use. It sounds
obvious, but I've seen too many Cake-rookies dive in thinking they
could just scaffold-up something and run without thinking it through.
Cake is great, but it can't write your app for you. Remembering that
you're still writing an app is important, IMHO.

Get a rough design on your database, then worry about how it is
represented as Models in Cake. Figure out some general application
flow, then figure out how generally that maps to Cake's Controllers
and Actions.

After that, if you haven't already, install Cake 1.2 and do a couple
of the tutorials (Blog may have most similarity to your app), while
keeping in mind how the tutorial steps might line up with your
application requirements. Get the tutorials working, then try some
customizing to get a feel for the code.

Break it down that way or you run the risk of sinking into too much
"new" stuff and losing sight of your actual goal....

Good luck!