I got it working. I changed Plesk's vhost.conf to:

DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.com/httpdocs/app/webroot/

<Directory "/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.com/httpdocs/app/webroot/">

        php_admin_value open_basedir "/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.com/httpdocs:/tmp"

        Options Indexes ExecCGI FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
        AllowOverride all
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

I then removed the symlink I'd made and created a real httpdocs dir
again so I had:

/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.com/httpdocs/app/
/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.com/httpdocs/cake_1.2.3.8166

I'd forgotten to mention that I'd read somewhere that simply doing
this might be a problem for Plesk. But I thought I'd give it a go,
anyway. It's not like it's anything that can't be undone. It seemsto
be fine.

I think the other way would have worked, actually. The problem was
probably due to AllowOverride all being missing (.htaccess ignored).