It's the underscores that are doing it; this has bitten me before.
Have a look at the source for Controller::set().

Try:

$this->set(compact('left_content'), false);

This is essentially the same as doing:

$this->set(array('left_content' => $left_content), false);

By passing in an array as the first param and also using a dummy param
in 2nd place, you aoid having Inflector munge your variable name.