My one santims (Latvia) :)

You can do as you suggest yourself, but also move the HABTM
relationship away from the recipes.

Category -> HABTM -> Category : which makes it possible for one
subcategory to appear under more than one main category. And even more
subsubcategories under subcategories, if it ever should be necessary!

Category -> hasMany -> Recipe

Recipe -> belongsTo -> Category.

Thus you will have the following tables:

categories
recipes
categories_categories

Enjoy,