On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Dave Maharaj :: WidePixels.com
<d...@widepixels.com> wrote:
> This is fairly simple question but I think saying it in my head and hearing
> it sounds wrong and confusing me further.
>
> "User" signs up and selects the "Group" they are going to belong to as they
> can only belong to one group...sounds fine when you say it out load
> "Group" has many "Users".....sounds fine when you say it out load
>
> User belongsTo Group
> Group hasMany Users
>
> -- OR --
>
> "User" signs up and selects the "Role" they are going to have as they can
> have only 1 role sounds fine when you say it out load
> "Role" has many "Users' sounds wrong....
>
> User hasOne Role
> Role hasMany Users
>

> So my question is how should this go?

I understood what did you mean.  But we don't have to
think in "Role hasMany User" as in ownership thought.

The "rule of thumb" is that the model that has a foreignKey
to another "belongsTo" that model, i.e., if the "User" needs
to know your Role, so the users table must have a role_id,
so "User belongsTo Role" and "Role hasMany (or even
hasOne if that's the case) User".

Got it? :-P

Best regards.

--