I have a database setup like this (I know it isnt the best setup but
its out of my power to change it :-(

Basically there are 3 levels of users
- Admin
- Managers
- Staff

Few notes:
-Each member of staff belongs to department
-If the Staffs logon_code appears in the manager table they are a
Manager, otherwise they are a member of staff
-If the staffs logon_code appears in the manager table and SystemAdmin
is set to 1, they are Admin

How on earth do I go about setting ACL/Auth for this? Any ideas?

CREATE TABLE `tblStaff` (
  `StaffID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `dept_id` varchar(5) default NULL,
  `logon_code` char(10) NOT NULL,
  `forename` char(50) NOT NULL,
  `surname` char(50) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`StaffID`),
) ;

CREATE TABLE `tblManager` (
  `ManagerID` varchar(15) NOT NULL,
  `logon_code` varchar(15) NOT NULL,
  `dept_id` varchar(5) NOT NULL,
  `SystemAdmin` tinyint(1) unsigned default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`ManagerID`)
) ;

CREATE TABLE `tblDepartment` (
  `dept_id` varchar(5) NOT NULL,
  `sect_id` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `subsect_id` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `sect_name` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `sect_abbr` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `subsect_name` varchar(50) default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`dept_id`)
) ;