I suggest that you turn of autoRedirect on login, as described in
http://book.cakephp.org/view/395/autoRedirect and then use something
like the following:

[code example]
if ( !$this->Auth->user() ) {
   // The user is not logged in, so try with the email as the
username!
   $this->Auth->fields['username'] = 'email';

   if ( $this->Auth->login() == false ) {
      // Not logged in, so report errors!
[/code example]

Enjoy,