nope not the Bosstones' song but my AJAX response.

I have a button on the page. Clicking the button invokes the following
jQuery function:

   $('#refresh_sub').click(function()
    {
                console.log('Start');
                // Add the content to the dialog
        $.post("/subscribers/refresh_sub", '', function(data){
                console.log('Finish');
                        populate_dialog(data);

                        $("#confirm_dialog").dialog('option', 'buttons', {
                                'OK': function()
                                {
                                        $("#confirm_dialog").dialog('close')
                                }
                        });

                        $('#confirm_dialog').dialog('open');
                }, 'json');

    });

Which in turn invokes the following PHP method in my Subscribers
Controller:

        public function refresh_sub($id = null)
        {
        /*
         *      <PerformSubOp>
         *              <SubscriberId> subscriber_id </SubscriberId>
         *              <Operation> operation </Operation>
         *      </PerformSubOp>
         */

                $this->layout = 'ajax';

                $operation = $this->data['operation'];

                $id = $this->data['Subscriber']['SubscriberId'];
                $this->TransactionParams['transaction']['id'] . $operation;
        $this->TransactionParams['transaction']
['TransactionCommandList']['TransactionCommand']['PerformSubOp']
['SubscriberId'] = $id;
        $this->TransactionParams['transaction']
['TransactionCommandList']['TransactionCommand']['PerformSubOp']
['Operation'] = $operation;

        $result = $this->Subscriber->query('SendTransaction', $this-
>TransactionParams);

                $this->set('response', json_encode( array ('title'=>'Success',
'message'=>'Message content', 'level'=>'Success')));
        }

The view then does this:

<?php echo $response; ?>

Pretty standard stuff. However my jQuery function never gets the data
back. If you look you will see I have two console.log() calls the
jQuery function. The first one fires but the second does not.
I know that the json data is being returned because I can see it in
the HTTP response in Firebug.

This basic transaction works in my custom framework. But I am moving
over to Cake and I am wondering where I went wrong.

Thanks for any help.